Sacha Baron Cohen's 'Who Is America?' will not return

Publish Date
Friday, 21 December 2018, 11:33AM

Sacha Baron Cohen has confirmed that the controversial series - which was broadcast on the Showtime network in the US - will not be returning to TV screens after the much-debated first season landed the broadcaster with a $95 million defamation suit.

Sacha - whose show tricked unsuspecting politicians into saying and 
doing surreal things - explained to The Hollywood Reporter: "I will never be able to get a politician to bare his buttocks while screaming 'God bless America!' and screaming the N-word."

In one particularly bizarre scene, Republican Jason Spencer flashed 
his bum and shouted racial slurs on the show.

But Sacha - who previously starred as the comedy creation Ali G - 
admitted he never thought the show would have a long shelf-life.

The comedian also conceded he's simply too "lazy" to persist with the concept. 
He said: "The idea is not to make it a 'Seinfeld' or an 'SNL'. It is gruelling. I'm too lazy to do this."

Meanwhile, Isla Fisher - who has been married to Sacha since 2010 - 
revealed earlier this year that she respected her husband even more after they worked together.

The loved-up duo collaborated on the 2016 comedy 'Grimsby', and Isla 
relished the experience. Asked to name her favourite co-star, the actress said: "Well, I have to pick my husband. I would not want to not pick him. He is my favourite, obviously.

"We had a really fun time [on 'Grimsby']. We shared a trailer. And it 
was just hilarious. "Obviously I always respected him, but having been around so many big comedy stars and seeing how they improvise and stuff - and then to work with my husband and see him be the best improv comedian I've ever worked with, I loved it."

This article was first published on BANG Showbiz and is republished here with permission.